There was a problem trying to regenerate the thumbnails. Please try again.

• Clicking the orange "Regenerate Thumbnails" button that shows in the sidebar when editing an image returns an alert that reads:

There was a problem trying to regenerate the thumbnails. Please try again.

The "MEDIA CLOUD SYSTEM COMPATIBILITY TEST" passes without any major issues.

Batch upload seems to work fine. Batch REBUILD THUMBNAILS sort of works. The blog I'm working on has over 16k images. It takes many hours to run, and never actually finishes (get's hung up on an image).

Using WPengine as a host. We use Cloudflare DNS.

The any generated thumbnail with image dimension suffix (ie, "-150x150) doesn't get sent to our S3 bucket. The main full size image seems to work ok.

This blog operates in a subdirectory (ie, domain.com/BLOG/ ) -- could this cause issues?

Just started a 7 day trial hoping that the upgraded version fixes it, but it doesnt.

Any suggestions?

• @jsaien

We are releasing a new update in a couple of days that should remedy the issues you are having.

A thing to do in the meantime though:

• Turn on debugging in media cloud
    • Make sure the debug log level is set to "info" in the debug settings (Media Cloud -> Settings -> Debug Settings in the drop down)
    • Run the regenerate thumbnail function
    • When the error occurs, go to the debug log, download the csv and email it to me @ [email protected]

This next version we've completely gutted the batch processing system and replaced it with something more reliable. Batch processing in WordPress is a joke (compared to say Laravel) no matter how you cut it, but the new system we have is proving to be uber reliable compared to the old one.

But if you can dump a debug log, maybe the problem is something else.

Thanks!

Jon.

• Thanks. I'll run it until it errors. As I said, there are over 16k images so it runs all day and will probably fail sometime by the end of the night. It currently says it will be done in 9 hours..

The log may be massive because its currently putting out a ton of warnings related to webhooks.

Example:

9/16/2019 6:46 pm	ilab-media-tool	WARNING	Parameter 1 to wp_default_styles() expected to be a reference, value given	file = /nas/content/live/nycdsdev/blog/wp-includes/class-wp-hook.php, line = 286
    9/16/2019 6:46 pm	ilab-media-tool	WARNING	Parameter 1 to wp_default_packages() expected to be a reference, value given	file = /nas/content/live/nycdsdev/blog/wp-includes/class-wp-hook.php, line = 286
    9/16/2019 6:46 pm	ilab-media-tool	WARNING	Parameter 1 to wp_default_scripts() expected to be a reference, value given	file = /nas/content/live/nycdsdev/blog/wp-includes/class-wp-hook.php, line = 286
    9/16/2019 6:46 pm	ilab-media-tool	WARNING	Parameter 1 to wp_default_styles() expected to be a reference, value given	file = /nas/content/live/nycdsdev/blog/wp-includes/class-wp-hook.php, line = 286
    9/16/2019 6:46 pm	ilab-media-tool	WARNING	Parameter 1 to wp_default_packages() expected to be a reference, value given	file = /nas/content/live/nycdsdev/blog/wp-includes/class-wp-hook.php, line = 286

Also, I'm unsure if the new version will address my issue (missing thumbnails when uploading new media).

• @jsaien

If that's the case Media Cloud's debug log won't help because it only records the last 1000 log entries.

I would keep it on, but email me your actual php-error.log if you can.

TBH, the regenerate thumbnails task just tells WordPress to generate thumbnails and then it uploads whatever WordPress creates. All it really does is:

• Download the full size original/master if it doesn't exist on the local file system
    • Calls wp_generate_attachment_metadata() to make WordPress generate thumbnails
    • Uploads the results

But let's see what the log files say.

BTW, I'm in Vietnam and will be heading to bed soon so the timing is fine for me 😉

• @jsaien

Actually, yes keep Media Cloud debugging on because it will emit way more data to even the regular php error log. Gonna need that info.